photo credit: Getty Images
Lightning captain Martin St. Louis provided a big chunk of offense in a Lightning victory.
by Steve Carney / 620 WDAE
The Bolts got their scoreless drought ended, and in a big way.
Marty St. Louis finished with a pair of goals, and Ben Bishop had 33 saves, as the Tampa Bay Lightning defeated the Ottawa Senators 3-1 Thursday.
The Bolts started poorly, but ended up taking the lead late in the first period, as Ondrej Palat fed St. Louis from behind the net, and the Lightning captain beat Robin Lehner on the short side.
Ottawa came out for the second period down 1-0, but tied the game up with just over six minutes gone in the period, as Keith Aulie took an interference penalty, and on the ensuing power play, Patrick Wiercioch beat Bishop to knot the game up.
St. Louis got Tampa Bay back in the lead with just under seven minutes to play in the period, missing the net on a breakaway, but getting a second chance as Palat fed him again from behind the goal for his second tally of the night.
Ottawa peppered Bishop with 34 shots, but the Tampa Bay netminder allowed just the single goal to earn the victory.
The Lightning lost a pair of defensemen, as Victor Hedman left in the first period with an upper-body injury, and Aulie was removed with a lower-body injury in the second period.
Tampa Bay wraps up a stretch of five of six at home Saturday night when they host the Winnipeg Jets. Face-off is scheduled for 7:00.
1. TBL - Martin St. Louis (11). Assists - Palat, Carle. Time - 16:45
1. OTT (pp) - Patrick Wiercioch (1). Assist - Turris. Time - 6:11
2. TB - Martin St. Louis (12). Assists - Palat, Johnson. Time - 13:19
1. TB - Valteri Filppula (10). Assists - none. Time - 10:56
1. TB RW Martin St. Louis (2 goals, +2)
2. TB G Ben Bishop (33 saves on 34 shots faced)
3. TB LW Ondrej Palat (2 assists, +2, 9 hits)