By Dory LeBlanc
Follow @DoryLeBlanc


18 hours after their $40-million wide receiver was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital for treatment of a stab wound, Buccaneers GM Jason Licht and head coach Lovie Smith still have yet to hear from Mike Williams.

Speaking at a break from the NFL Owners Meetings in Orlando, Licht expressed concern for Williams once again and said the team has attempted to contact him, but have not yet heard back.

"Obviously our primary focus is making sure he's OK," Licht said. "We know he's been treated and released. We just want to make sure he's OK. We've reached out to Mike. We've yet to hear from him. From what I understand, he was treated and released. That's a good start."

According to WDAE morning host and Tampa Bay Times Beat Writer Rick Stroud, the Bucs' general manager also said he was "disappointed" in the situation; a word Licht and Smith used to describe Mike Williams' behavior at the NFL Combine in February after incidents involving a "party house" and another involving property damage surfaced. 

Licht and Smith made their concerns of Williams' behavior well-known in Indianapolis, but this latest incident involving the Bucs' 2010 fourth-round draft pick is cause for a different kind of concern - Williams' safety.

"Disappointed, just that we had a player in that situation that could have been seriously injured," Licht said. "Our primary focus is making sure he's OK. We're gathering all the facts. We know about as much as you right now. Before I make any comment, I want to know what the situation was. I don't know any other facts right now."

At this time the known facts are that Williams was admitted to St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa Sunday evening to treat a stab wound inflicted by his brother, Eric Baylor. The Hillsborough County Sheriff Office initially withheld Baylor's name, but eventually released it hours later. The HCSO is asking that anyone with knowledge of Baylor's whereabouts will contact the police at 1-800-873-TIPS (8477). 

Sunday night an arrest warrant was issued for Baylor on a felony charge of aggravated battery / domestic violence after allegedly stabbing Williams in the left thigh with a kitchen knife. When police arrived at Williams' home in the gated community of Avila yesterday evening, Baylor was not on the scene as law enforcement officers began their investigation into the incident.

According to Greg Auman of the Tamp Bay Times, the police remained in Williams' residence for more than four hours, interviewing several witnesses for clarification on conflicting information. It was reported that the stabbing incident was described as "horseplay" when the story first broke. 

Keep it locked to 620 WDAE / 95.3 FM or follow us on twitter @620WDAE for the latest updates on the Williams situation.  





Photo: Getty Images