By Tom Krasniqi
One of the few bright spots in an otherwise disappointing season for the 3-9 Buccaneers has been the play of defensive tackle Gerald McCoy. The fourth year man out of Oklahoma is getting it done on the field and talks a good game off it.
McCoy leads the team in sacks with 6 but like the rest of the team, he’s coming off a bad game in Carolina. McCoy did not register any stats against the Panthers and he’s not happy about it.
“We got to play better,” McCoy said after Wednesday’s practice.
The Bucs were building some momentum before their 27-6 loss at Carolina last Sunday. With four games left in the season, McCoy wants to finish strong and he’s hoping the entire team follows suit.
“Last four weeks—we got to turn it up,” McCoy opined. “We’re not going to the playoffs…that’s a fact. So what? Are we going to lay down or are we going to finish up strong? We have four more weeks to leave our mark on 2013. What are we going to with it? It’s up to us.”
It’s that type of passion that you have to love about McCoy. He is an engaging personality who doesn’t pull any punches off the field. But don’t let his nice guy demeanor fool you. On the field, he’s a fierce competitor who will give everything he has--even though the Bucs are out of playoff contention.
“I truly believe with everything in my heart we can win these last four games,” McCoy stated. “We can go 4-0 in our last four games…..we just have to go do it.”
McCoy is a guy who doesn’t lack in confidence. But before you can win four straight, they need to win one. The 4-8 Bills come to town on Sunday and McCoy will not check out anytime soon.
“Never,” McCoy said defiantly. “I had two season-ending surgeries. I’m never going to check out. I’m going to play as much as I can because I’ve seen two seasons taken from me. It’s happened so I’m never going to quit.”
As far as the Wednesday injury report for the Bucs, WR Vincent Jackson (hamstring), RG Davin Joseph (knee) and LG Carl Nicks (foot) did not practice. CB Darrelle Revis (chest/shoulder) and DT Akeem Spence (wrist) practiced fully. Head coach Greg Schiano stated that Jackson and Joseph were getting rest days.
The Bills are relatively healthy heading into this week’s game. DT Kyle Williams (Achilles) did not practice on Wednesday. He was the only player listed on Buffalo’s injury report.
News & Notes:
- Bucs QB Mike Glennon has known Bills QB E.J. Manuel since his sophomore year in high school. They went on recruiting trips together and faced each other in college. Last season, Glennon’s N.C. State team rallied from a 16-0 deficit to upset Manuel and the #3 ranked Florida State 17-16. Glennon called it the best win of his football career to date.
- Schiano one the status of LG Carl Nicks: “We’re in constant contact with Carl. I don’t know what’s going to happen, I think it would be, I’d be guessing, to tell you right now. There are only four games left so I think pretty soon, we’ll know something. He hasn’t played for a while either, so as time goes on, we’ve got to figure everything out.”
- Bucs DT Gerald McCoy on stunting on the defensive line: “I think it can be good, just not all the time.” The Bucs ran a stunt last week on the play where Cam Newton took off on a 56 yard run.
- The Bucs lead the NFL with 17 interceptions.
- The Bills lead the NFL in sacks with 43. DE Mario Williams leads the way with 12. That figures to be a tough test for Bucs LT Donald Penn.
- The Bucs placed LB Jonathan Casillas (knee) on injured reserve and they signed LB Danny Lansanah (6-1, 255) from the Jets practice squad.
- With Casillas done for the season, Dekoda Watson is moving back to linebacker. Watson has been a rush end the last several weeks.
- The Bucs now have 14 players on injured reserve. Position breakdown: 4 RBs, 3 TEs, 3 LBs, 3 CBs, and one WR (Mike Williams).
- This Sunday, the 3-9 Bucs welcome in the 4-8 Buffalo Bills to Raymond James Stadium. You can catch the game on 620 WDAE and 95.3FM with our coverage beginning at 9am with Countdown to Kickoff.
- For the latest Bucs news, keep it locked all day long on 620 WDAE and 95.3FM, your home of the Bucs and the best Bucs coverage. Don’t forget to check out the Bucs blog at 620wdae.com for the latest news and audio clips.