10 Takeaways From Bucs Training Camp Today
- I love the intensity from D-Line Coach Brenston Buckner as Mike Smith looks on. He is not afraid to speak his mind, “Feelings are meant to be hurt. And I’m gonna hurt 'em". Speaking of Smith, he’s licking his chops for the opportunity to work with this D-Line. Reminds me of a kid looking at the presents under a Christmas tree.
- The song of the day was definitely "10 Crack Commandments" by the Notorious B.I.G. I know, I know... the premise of the song isn't based on the greatest way to make a living, but the beat is incredible and lines like "keep your family and business completely separated" and "money and blood don't mix" are 100% true.
- Chris Godwin is as smooth as silk. Whether it's running a crisp route or making a difficult catch, the second-year man out of Penn State continues to impress.
- Warren Sapp showed up to Camp today and looked really good. I know he's had his share of issues, but when he's around the football field, you can tell he's home. His words carry a lot of weight around here and even though he comes to practice, he doesn't seem to get in the way and let's the coaches do their thing.
- On two different occasions today, Ryan Fitzpatrick opened up a drill with a bomb down the right sideline to Godwin. Keep an eye on that connection as the season nears.
- Jameis Winston wasn't as sharp early on as he has been the last couple days of Camp, but he got better as the day went on. With Jameis doing a lot of work with the 2's in Camp, you can see his rapport with guys like OJ Howard and Justin Watson growing. Winston hooked up with both guys for a couple of nice grabs today.
- The great Gene Deckerhoff is here too. What an absolute legend and a very nice man. Fire the Cannons!!
- It's pretty to cool to see Gerald McCoy and JPP working side-by-side. McCoy is so sound technically and it's no surprise he's been as good as he is in his career. JPP is a little more like a tornado with arms flailing all over the place, but the main thing is that he gets the job done. Two different techniques, but both effective.
- There was a ton of talk during the offseason about Bobo Wilson for the 5th WR spot but I don't think that's set in stone. Freddie Martino has had some flashes and Justin Watson is making an impact as well.
- Vita Vea wheeled on by in a walking boot (VIDEO BELOW) and when he finally got to the sideline, he ditched the scooter and walked around a little bit. It stinks to see the 1st round pick injured but thankfully it was early in Camp and he doesn't look like he will miss a lot of time. (UPDATE) 2:24pm : Dirk Koetter said at the end of the workout today that Vea will be "out for a bit" but shouldn't miss any regular season games.