10 Takeaways From Bucs Training Camp Today
- I’ll never get the dislike of Gerald McCoy. The guy is a model citizen in this community and he’s a Pro Bowl DT who one day will probably be in Canton. He fired up the fans BEFORE today's workout, dominated in drills and 11-on-11's DURING practice and then was running around the field with all of the player's kids AFTER everything wrapped up. Appreciate what you have in #93 folks, he won't be around forever.
- I love unique drills in camp. I’ve been out at a lot of Camps but have never seen one like this.
- I’m also a big fan of unique play-calling. Check out the Bobo Wilson run BELOW. Then on the next play they faked a handoff to Bernard Reedy and Fitz kept it for a nice gain. Sweeeeeet!
- The fans were jacked up today! Shout out to all the Stick Carriers and other Tampa Bay fans who created a lively atmosphere both inside the indoor facility and outside in the heat.
- Always good to see Ronde Barber hanging around the team. When guys like Barber and Sapp just randomly stop by, it’s hard not to remember the vaunted Bucs defenses of the past.
- Shaun Wilson’s speed jumps out at you man. WOW! If he can correct those fumbling issues, he may push for a roster spot.
- Dirk said it was "10-90" in favor of the defense yesterday. It could have been "5-95" at the start today with the only big offensive play a long TD down the middle of the field from Jameis Winston to Bernard Reedy. The longer practice went on, the better the offense looked, so Dirk said it was "60-40 defense" once it was all said and done.
- Carlton Davis is a beast. I have loved his toughness against Mike Evans and he broke up multiple passes today.
- A little chippy today at Camp. You can tell these guys are ready to hit someone in a different uniform.
- Freddie Martino has missed the last couple of days of Camp with an undisclosed injury but that’s not stopping him from getting some extra work with Jameis when most of the team has already headed inside. Martino is on the bubble of making this team, and it would behoove him to get back on the field ASAP if he wants to have a chance to make the 53. As far as Jameis goes, regardless of the offseason issues, he still stays after practice EVERY DAY to work with his receivers and to also sign autographs and say hi to a few fans. Some athletes would turtle up in situations like that and avoid being seen any more than they'd have to, but not JW. Kudos #
Freddie Martino has been out the last couple of days but he’s still finding a way to get some work in with Jameis. These are those little things, those extra bits of work that can pay dividends as the season unfolds @MartinoTheKid @Jaboowins #Bucs #TrainingCamp #GoBucs #NFL pic.twitter.com/92gayR4FwA— Jay Recher (@jayRecher) August 4, 2018