Just like the Lightning learned on opening night; it's not how you start, it's how you finish.
Unfortunately, the home team was on the wrong side of the comeback this time as the Vancouver Canucks scored four goals in the third period to defeat the Lightning 4-1 on Thursday night at Amalie Arena.
After coming out flat in the first period last Saturday night in the season opener, the Lightning came out flying on Thursday night. The Bolts outshot the Canucks 17-5 in the opening stanza and we're able to finally break through with a goal when Brayden Point beat Anders Nilsson in the slot to put Tampa Bay 1-0 with just over three minutes left in the period
The second period was relatively even and Tampa Bay looked confident heading into the third period with the lead.
That's when the Canucks took over.
Elias Pettersson and Brock Boeser scored 1:10 apart on Lightning netminder Andrei Vasilevskiy and then Jake Virtanen and Markus Granlund added empty-netters to put the game out of reach.
Nilsson stopped 33 of the 34 shots he saw on Thursday night. Vasilevskiy stopped 24 of 26.
1. Tampa Bay - Point - (Gourde, Coburn) - 16:36
1. Vancouver - Boeser - (Slashing) - 1:17
2. Vancouver - Goldobin - (Tripping) - 4:09
1. Vancouver - Gudbranson - (Hooking) - 0:24
2. Vancouver - Stecher - (Hooking) - 5:03
3. Tampa Bay - Killorn - (High Sticking) - 8:24
4. Vancouver - Boeser - (Holding) - 8:29
5. Tampa Bay - McDonagh - (Interference) - 12:43
6. Tampa Bay - Cirelli - (Holding) - 14:16
1. Vancouver - Pettersson - (Pouliot, Stecher) - 11:07
2. Vancouver - Boeser - (Unassisted) - 12:17
3. Vancouver - ENG - Virtanen - (Unassisted) - 18:48
4. Vancouver - ENG - Granlund - (Virtanen) - 19:52
1. Tampa Bay - Joseph - (Faceoff Violation) - 5:57
What's Next For The Bolts : The Lightning are back in action on Saturday night as they host the Columbus Blue Jackets at Amalie Arena. Puck drop is slated for 7pm with the pregame show kicking things off at 6pm on Newsradio 970WFLA.