The Tampa Bay Lightning (41-17-3) knocked off the Ottawa Senators (21-29-10) 4-3 on Thursday night in Ottawa.
Though the game didn’t get off to the best start for the Lightning, they were able to take advantage of opportunities when they had them. Tyler Johnson scored his first goal since having a hat trick on January 9th to give the Lighting a 1-0 lead at the 9:31 mark. However, Ottawa answered right back when Ryan Dzingel scored at the 14:54 mark to tie it at 1. The Bolts had an answer waiting, however, in the person of Victor Hedman, who scored less than two minutes later to give the Lightning a 2-1 lead they would take into the first intermission.
The second period saw the Lightning build on that lead, beginning when Vladislav Namestnikov scored 3:37 in to take a 3-1 lead. The Bolts got what would turn out to be a huge goal at the end of the period when Brayden Point got a blast through with under a second to go to give Tampa Bay a 4-1 lead.
Down three, Ottawa pushed back in the third period. Mark Borowiecki got a goal into the net that was called a no-goal due to goalie interference on the ice - however, after review, the officials ruled it a good goal that made it 4-2. The Senators pushed against the Lightning for most of the third period, and when they got a power play opportunity late, they pulled the goalie for a 6-on-4. Derick Brassard took advantage to pull within 4-3 of the Lightning at the 17:44 mark. However, that was as close as the Senators would get, as the LIghtning held on for a 4-3 victory and two points.
Louis Domingue got the start in net for the Lightning, and converted 33 saves on 36 shots against to get the win. Craig Anderson went 20-of-24 in the losing cause for Ottawa. Tampa Bay continues their road trip on Saturday as they remain in Canada to take on the Montreal Canadiens. Faceoff Saturday night is set for 7:00 PM - you can hear it all beginning at 6:30 on News Radio 970 WFLA.
1. TBL - Johnson - (Kunitz, Gourde) - 9:31
2. OTT - Dzingel - (Stone, Brassard) - 14:54
3. TBL - Hedman - (Kucherov, Namestnikov) - 16:26
1. TBL - Namestnikov - (Kucherov, Stamkos) - 3:37
2. TBL - Point - (Gourde, Killorn) - 19:59
1. OTT - Borowiecki - (Ryan, Ceci) - 8:11
2. OTT - Brassard - (Stone, Karlsson) - 17:44
1. OTT - Borowiecki - (High Sticking) - 1:25
1. TBL - Koekkoek - (Holding) - 4:11
2. TBL - Stamkos - (Tripping) - 7:45
3. OTT - Borowiecki - (High Sticking) - 10:33
1. TBL - Johnson - (Hooking) - 4:19
2. OTT - Karlesson - (Delaying Game) - 8:58
3. TBL - Gourde - (Hooking) - 11:07
4. TBL - Dotchin - (Tripping) - 15:47
SHOTS ON GOAL
Tampa Bay - 24
Ottawa - 36